Voting is a fundamental civic right every adult Nigerian ought to exercise, and having a valid Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) is a direct ticket for participating in elections.
However, in today’s digital age, many processes have been made easier and more accessible thanks to the internet. Checking the status of your PVC is one of the simplest things you can do with ease from the comfort of your home or office.
However, if you wish to know how to check your PVC online, we will guide you through the process of checking your PVC online in this article, ensuring that you are fully equipped to exercise your democratic rights in the upcoming election. Stay tuned.
What Is PVC?
Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) is a valid means of identification issued by the government to eligible citizens of the country.
PVC is a document that gives citizens the strength and ticket to exercise their democratic and civic rights. In Nigeria, it is expected that every citizen who is up to voting age (18 years) has a voter’s card.
There are basically two types of voter’s card– temporary and permanent voter’s cards. And just like their names imply, the former is for a limited time while the latter has no expiration date. Also, your PVC is your power to enthroning and dethroning your desired government.
Why Is PVC Important?
PVC is one of the crucial documents every responsible and political conscious adult should have. Aside from being a means of identification, your PVC is needed in almost every legal dealings.
The absolute and ultimate importance lies on it being the ticket to vote in your desired government or vote out a bad government. Your PVC is your power as a citizen of Nigeria.
How to Check Your PVC Online
Knowing the status of your PVC is a crucial thing to do as a concerned citizen, especially as the election approaches. The steps below will help you on how to do that;
Step 1: Get the Required Information Ready
Before you begin the online checking process, ensure that you have the following information readily available because they will help obtain your desired result:
- Personal Details: Full name, date of birth, and registration state.
- Voter Identification Number: This is a unique number assigned to you during registration. It is usually found on your Temporary Voter’s Card (TVC) or other registration-related documents.
Step 2: Visit the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Website
To check your PVC online, you need to visit the official website of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for your country. Here’s how to do it:
- Open your preferred web browser.
- Type in the web address: inecnigeria.org
- There you are!
Step 3: Explore the site on the PVC Checking Page
Once you’re on the INEC website, we advise that you follow these steps to locate the PVC checking page:
- Look for the “Voter Services” or “Election Services” feature or icon on the website’s homepage.
- Click the tab to disclose a dropdown menu.
- From the dropdown menu, select the option that says “Check Your PVC Status” or something similar to that.
Step 4: Enter Your Personal Details
On the PVC checking page, you will find a form that requires you to enter your personal details. Fill in the necessary information accurately and carefully, as mistakes may result in inaccurate search results. Please provide your full name, date of birth, state of registration, and any other details as prompted ( all the information we listed in step one except your VIN).
Step 5: Enter Your Voter Identification Number
On the same page you supplied your personal information, you will find a field asking for your Voter Identification Number. Enter the unique number assigned to you during registration. Double-check the number to ensure accuracy, as mistakes will affect your result.
Step 6: Submit the Form and Await the Results
Once you have entered all the required information, review the form for accuracy and completeness. When you are satisfied, click the “Submit” button to commence the search process. The system will then access the database and display your PVC status on the screen.
Step 7: Interpret the Results
After submitting the form, the website will show your PVC status, indicating whether your PVC is ready for collection, still being processed, or any other relevant information. Carefully read the information provided and note any instructions or additional steps you may need to take.
How To Retrieve Your Lost PVC Online
If you have lost your voter’s card and want to retrieve it online, please follow the steps below carefully:
- Visit the INEC voters’ registration portal.
- Once you are on the portal, locate and click the “Sign in” or “Register” option in the menu.
- Look for the section titled “Lost or Damaged PVC” on your screen and click on it to proceed with requesting a new card.
- You will be redirected to a page where you can search for your voter’s record. This page is designed to help you recover your lost PVC.
- Provide the required information, such as your full name, state of origin, and other necessary details, in the search fields.
- Start the search process to retrieve your card details. Within a few minutes, the details of your voter’s card will be displayed on the screen if you have entered the correct information.
Remember, the process doesn’t end there. You must also utilize the “Review Now” feature to review your details carefully for accuracy. Additionally, you must upload two passport photographs of yourself as part of the retrieval process.
Checking your Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) online has become a convenient and efficient way to ensure your eligibility for voting in upcoming elections and your rights are protected. By following the step-by-step guide given in this article, we believe that you can easily access the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) website to check your PVC.
We encourage you to stay informed and be a responsible citizen by not getting overwhelmed by political apathy. Feel free to ask questions below!